Applications are currently being accepted for the 2020 Resident Firefighter Academy. The applications are due by 5:00 pm on September 4th, 2020. To apply, email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail them to Missoula Rural Fire District, 2521 South Ave. W, Missoula, MT 59804. Download the application here.
Being a Resident Firefighter is a tremendous opportunity for those who would like to pursue a future career in the fire service. The Resident Firefighter is able to gain valuable experience by living full-time in a fire station. and send it to
This individual learns the skills that are needed to ensure that the apparatus is in good working condition, receives the training required to effectively respond to calls for service from the public, and supports the community by providing essential support to the fire district during the evening and early morning hours of 7 pm to 7 am.
The following is a list of minimum qualifications to become a Resident Firefighter with the Missoula Rural Fire District:
- Wear a minimum of 50-lbs of firefighting gear for an extended period of time and pass a physical ability test.
- Commit to living full-time in the fire station for a minimum of two years, and be on duty every third day for 12-hour shifts (7 pm to 7 am).
- Read and follow both written and verbal directions.
- Successfully complete EMT training within 12-months of becoming a Resident.
- Successfully complete Driver/Operator training within 12-months of residency.
- Be at least 18 years of age or older, and able to successfully pass a background check.
*Note: This is not a paid position. However, the Resident is able to live rent-free at the fire station while residing there. Residency extensions may be granted upon request. Tuition reimbursement is available for Residents in good standing. Contact the Volunteer Liaison Officer atfor more details.